Virus Cases Rise to 41 in NC,Harrah's Closes Casinos,Schools Serving Meals


Coronavirus Confirmed In Macon County Resident

(Macon County) -- There is a confirmed coronavirus case in a Macon County resident. Health officials say the person visited Asheville between March 10th and 13th. The patient was tested in Buncombe County and has since returned to Macon County for isolation. Latest numbers from the state released late yesterday morning reveal there are 41 cases in the state.

Confirmed Cases Of Coronavirus In North Carolina Now At 41

(Raleigh, NC) -- With the number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus in North Carolina now at 41, nearly half of them are reported to be in the Triangle area. Wake County has the most at 15, Harnett County has four, and Seymour Johnson Airforce Base reported a person tested positive on Monday, becoming Wayne County's first case. The state health department says so far, it has submitted 65-COVID-19 tests to the CDC. Forty-four-have been returned. Of those 15-were positive and 29-were negative.

Health Officials Ask Restaurants To Close Dining Areas

(Buncombe County, NC) -- Restaurants in Buncombe County are being asked to consider moving to pick-up or delivery orders over the next two weeks. The Citizen-Times reports at least 20 area restaurants have decided to temporarily close altogether, or close off the dining area for strictly curbside or delivery orders only. Restaurants and bars are already shutting down in several states. Buncombe's public health emergency preparedness coordinator says it's in the community's best interest to follow the guidelines of the CDC and limit congregations of people.

Asheville City Council Member Resigning

(Asheville, NC) -- An Asheville city council member is leaving before the end of his first term. Vijay Kapoor said yesterday he's resigning to spend time with family. He plans to stay on board until the summer, when he heads to Philadelphia for work. His fellow city council members will select someone to fill the seat.

Harrah's Closes Casinos

(Cherokee, NC) -- Casino gambling in western North Carolina is on hold due to the coronavirus. Harrah's Cherokee Casino Resort in Cherokee and Harrah's Cherokee Valley River casino in Murphy are shutting down for two weeks starting tomorrow morning. All employees will still be paid.

Fire Breaks Out In Mill Springs Plant

(Mills River, NC) -- A small fire is being investigated at a Mill Springs Industrial Plant. It started on a conveyor at the Linamar plant on Ferncliff Park Drive yesterday afternoon. No one was injured. It's unclear how much damage was done, but the company's brigade team was able to put out the flames before other fire crews arrived.

Schools Offering Breakfast And Lunch

(Buncombe County, NC) -- A dozen Buncombe County elementary schools are offering breakfast and lunch to students through age 18. The YMCA is coordinating with the school district to distribute the meals. Breakfast pick-up is between 7:30 and 8:30 a.m. Lunch is from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Three More Coronavirus Cases Confirmed In Meck County

(Mecklenburg County, NC) -- More of the state's 33 coronavirus cases are coming out of Mecklenburg County. Health officials confirmed three more cases yesterday, which brings the number up to seven locally. Both Cabarrus and Iredell counties also reported their first cases. The CDC says there are more than 44-hundred cases in the U.S., including 87 coronavirus-related deaths.

CMS Restores Spring Break

(Charlotte, NC) -- The original date for CMS spring break is back in place. The board of education initially voted last Friday to move it to March in order to give teachers time to prepare for online classes. Members agreed yesterday to move it back to April 13th through 17th after Governor Cooper ordered schools to close for two weeks. Students are being given supplemental work available through the district's website or on their chrome books. Printed material is also available for pick-up.

One Dead In North Charlotte Homicide

(Charlotte, NC) -- The CMPD is investigating a north Charlotte homicide. One man died after officers found him shot in the parking lot of an apartment complex on Hosta Drive last night. Another victim suffered injuries not thought to be life-threatening. The area was surrounded by police, as officers looked for potential witnesses. No arrests have been made.

Monroe Implements Overnight Curfew

(Union County, NC) -- The city of Monroe is issuing a curfew for those under the age of 16. The hours last from 11 p.m. until seven in the morning. Any gatherings of more than 100 people are also prohibited on city property. Both Monroe and Union County declared states of emergency yesterday. Funding will be increased to use for emergency purposes and set guidelines for public safety personnel.

Wreck Knocks Out Power To Thousands

(Charlotte, NC) -- Duke power crews have been working to restore electricity to thousands of people in eastern Mecklenburg County. Around seven-thousand people lost power when a truck slammed into a pole on Parkton Road near Albemarle Road late last night. One person was injured. There were still around three-thousand outages this morning.

School Districts Providing Students With Meals During Closure

(Charlotte, NC) -- Local school districts are making sure their students have meals during the closures over the coronavirus. CMS, Gaston, Cabarrus and Union counties are all offering grab-and-go meals now. Pick-up locations can be found on their separate websites. Schools will be closed until at least March 30th.

Cooper Requests Federal Disaster Declaration From U.S. Small Business Administration

(Raleigh, NC) -- Governor Roy Cooper has asked the U.S. Small Business Administration to issue a disaster declaration for small businesses in North Carolina that have experienced severe economic losses because of the coronavirus. Cooper says a federal declaration would speed up the process of providing disaster loans, so that struggling businesses can continue operating.

Student Feeding Program Starts Today At Several Locations In Triangle

(Raleigh, NC) -- Starting today, many school districts across the Triangle will begin providing free meals for public school students whose classes were canceled because of the coronavirus. Volunteers will help deliver grab-and-go meals to 20-sites in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro District today. The Wake County School District will distribute meals at 16-sites. The Durham City School District will begin its free meal program on March 23rd. And a number of church ministries will offer free meals to students 18-and under.

County Mourns The Shooting Deaths Of Seven Family Members

(Chatham County, NC) -- No motive has been determined in an apparent murder suicide of seven family members in the Moncure community Sunday night. Investigators say 66-year old Larry Ray shot and killed his wife, her mother and two cousins and later two other family members before fatally turning the gun on himself. The shootings all occurred at three separate homes on Moncure Flatwood Road in Chatham County.

Apparent Domestic Dispute Leads To Death Of Durham Woman

(Durham, NC) -- One man is in custody facing murder charges in connection with the death of a woman whose body was found inside a Durham apartment complex Sunday night. Officers responded to a call of a disturbance around 9 p.m. at an apartment unit in the 100-block of Commerce Street. When they arrived, they found the body of 46-year old Rebecca Baldwin. Police arrested 38-year old Travis Morrell Poe at the scene. He was later booked into the Durham County Jail and charged with murder.

GCS Announces Grab-And-Go Food Sites

(Greensboro, NC) - Guilford County Schools are announcing a list of grab-and-go food sites for students. Starting tomorrow, March 18th, the district will be opening 32 sites at schools across the Triad. They include Alderman Elementary in Greensboro, Fairview Elementary in High Point and Ragsdale High in Jamestown. Between the hours of 11 a.m. and 12 p.m., students will be able to pick up their lunch for that day and breakfast for the following morning.

NC Zoo To Temporarily Close Starting March 17th

(Asheboro, NC) - The North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro is shutting down to help reduce the spread of coronavirus. It's temporarily closing starting today. Zoo officials say their care team will continue to provide world-class service to their animals during this time.

Police: Two Deaths Related To Thomasville Grocery Store Shooting

(Thomasville, NC) - Two people are dead after a confrontation outside a grocery store in Thomasville. It happened yesterday morning at the Cedar Lodge Market on Cedar Lodge Road. Police say 71-year-old Robert Stanford shot and killed 48-year-old Della Elberson in the parking lot. Police confronted Stanford at his home on Mountain View Court, and that's when officers say he shot himself. The two reportedly knew each other.

Randolph Co. Man Accused Of Rape And Kidnapping

(Randolph Co., NC) - A Randolph County man is facing rape and kidnapping charges. Grady Johnson was arrested yesterday in Randleman. Deputies launched their investigation on February 16th after a local hospital reported a sexual assault. Johnson was later identified as a suspect and warrants were obtained for his arrest.


Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content