Drive-Thru Coronavirus Testing Sites Open In Buncombe
(Buncombe County, NC) -- Two drive-thru testing sites for COVID-19 are open in Buncombe County. Sites at Biltmore Church in Arden and UNC-Asheville off Weaver Boulevard are open from ten to six this week. Only those who are showing coronavirus symptoms will be tested. Residents are being asked to stay in their cars, before they're instructed once to do after they arrive.
Governor Orders Restaurants To Close Dining Areas
(Raleigh, NC) -- Restaurants and bars across the state are being ordered to close to dine-in customers. Governor Roy Cooper issued a mandate effective 5 p.m. yesterday, in order to help stem the spread of coronavirus cases. Dining establishments can still offer pick-up or delivery orders. Some restaurants had already voluntarily closed dining areas before the order. Cooper is also relaxing rules for unemployment benefits to make it easier for people who lose their jobs during the coronavirus pandemic.
Coronavirus Cases Continue Rise In NC
(Raleigh, NC) -- The number of coronavirus cases is continuing to go up in North Carolina. There were 46 positive cases in the state as of Tuesday night, with 15 of those connected to a Duke University trip overseas. The UNC System has decided to keep students off campuses for the rest of this spring semester. There have been more than 55-hundred cases and 100 deaths across the country.
Ex-Commissioner's Fraud Trial Delayed
(Asheville, NC) -- The fraud trial of a former Buncombe County commissioner is being postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic. Both federal prosecutors and the defense for Ellen Frost told the court this week about concerns of witnesses being able to show up to testify. Frost has been accused of using county funds for events at the Tryon Equestrian Center and out-of-state. A federal judge ruled yesterday to hold off on the March 30th trial date, but no future time has been announced.
Mission Health Adds More Visitor Restrictions
(Asheville, NC) -- Mission Health is further restricting visitor policies. The hospital said yesterday patients will only be allowed one visitor aged 18-and-over between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m. Some overnight visitations will be allowed, for things such as births and pre- or post-surgery. Patient and visitors will still be screened upon entry.
Buncombe County Approved 500-K For Coronavirus Response
(Buncombe County, NC) -- Buncombe County is setting aside half-a-million-dollars for emergency response connected to the coronavirus. Commissioners approved that amount to be taken from the county's fund balance yesterday. According to the Citizen-Times, the budget director said 130-thousand-dollars has already been spent in coronavirus efforts.
More Coronavirus Cases Reported In Mecklenburg County
(Mecklenburg County, NC) -- There are more confirmed coronavirus cases in Mecklenburg County. NBC Charlotte says the number rose to eleven yesterday, with 46 total in North Carolina. The health department has around 300 people helping with the coronavirus outbreak at the moment. The Foundation for the Carolinas and United Way reports five-million-dollars was raised in one day for its COVID-19 Response Fund.
Gyms, Theaters Ordered To Close
(Charlotte, NC) -- Mecklenburg County's public health director is ordering gyms, health clubs and theaters to close for a month in order to stem the potential spread of coronavirus cases. She spoke at the county commission meeting last night, suggesting that a shelter-in-place order may soon be necessary. The comments came on the same day Governor Roy Cooper ordered all of the state's restaurants and bars to close their dining areas.
Panthers Give Cam Permission To Seek Trade
(Charlotte, NC) -- It appears the Charlotte Panthers will have a new quarterback next season. The team announced Tuesday it is giving permission for Cam Newton to seek a trade. It comes as the Panthers reportedly signed Saints' quarterback Teddy Bridgewater to a three-year deal. Bridgewater led New Orleans to a five-and-oh record last season while starter Drew Brees was injured.
No Charges In Death After East Charlotte Fight
(Charlotte, NC) -- The CMPD is not filing charges in a fight that turned deadly in east Charlotte. Investigators say one man was rushed to the hospital after two family members got into a fight on Delta Lake Drive Sunday afternoon. The man died the next day. The medical examiner's office ruled the case to be a homicide, but the CMPD says it won't file charges after speaking to witnesses.
Charlotte's Wells Fargo Championship Canceled
(Charlotte, NC) -- The Queen City's biggest pro golf event is being canceled. The PGA Tour decided yesterday to cancel four additional tournaments through May 10th due to the coronavirus pandemic. That includes the Wells Fargo Championship at Quail Hollow, which was set to begin the week of April 27th. Tournament officials said they'll now focus on how they can inspire the community. The PGA Championship in San Francisco is also being postponed from its May date.
All Members Of Duke University Overseas Travel Group Tests Positive
(Durham, NC) -- Fifteen members of a Duke University group who recently returned from a trip overseas have tested positive for COVID-19. Health officials have placed them all under quarantine in their homes off campus in Durham. Four other members of the group who tested positive in another country, will remain there until they recover.
Shooter In Chatham County Murder Suicide Had A Couple Of Prior Assault Cases
(Chatham County, NC) -- A further investigation into the murder-suicide of seven family members in Chatham County Sunday night, finds the shooter had been accused in two previous assault cases. One in 1993, the other in 2003. Court records show the charges against 66-year old Larry Ray were eventually dropped. Still, no motive has been determined on why Ray shot and killed six people and then fatally turned the gun on himself.
Further Investigation Finds Raleigh Police Officer Justified In Suspect Shooting
(Raleigh, NC) -- The Raleigh Police Department has released additional details about an officer involved shooting last week that left one suspect injured. The report confirms that the suspect, 26-year old Javier Torres, was holding a 9-millimeter handgun at the time of the shooting. The report also said Torres raised the gun in the direction of officer J.E. Byrd before he was shot. Torres was shot once in the abdomen and is continuing to recover.
High Point Declares State Of Emergency
(High Point, NC) - High Point is declaring a state of emergency over the coronavirus outbreak. It took effect at 11 a.m. yesterday and remains in effect until further notice. Mayor Jay Wagner also announced new restrictions, including the closures of High Point Library, High Point Museum, High Point Theater and recreation centers. Greensboro and Winston-Salem recently enforced similar rules.
Syngenta Employee Tests Positive For Coronavirus
(Greensboro, NC) - An employee at Syngenta in Greensboro is being treated for coronavirus. Company officials announced the positive case yesterday. They say the individual has been isolated and has minor symptoms. Other people who came in contact with the patient are also in isolation.