North Carolina Coronavirus Cases Shy of 51-Hundred
(Raleigh, NC) -- The number of coronavirus cases in North Carolina is just shy of 51-hundred. Which includes around 240 in western North Carolina. There have been 113 deaths statewide. More than 65-thousand tests have been administered.
Several Thousand Still Without Power In WNC
(Henderson County, NC) -- There are still several thousand residents without power in western North Carolina. It's been around 48-hours since storms swept through the region, leaving behind damages and homes with no electricity. Around three-thousand in Henderson County and two-thousand in Transylvania County had no power last night. Some spotty outages remain in other counties in the region.
Eight Mudslides Reported In Macon County
(Macon County, NC) -- It's still a muddy mess from this week's storms in Macon County. WLOS-TV is now reporting eight mudslides caused damage in the western part of the county. Sixteen residents were evacuated due to dangers in one area. State geologists are on site this week to test and monitor the grounds for safety. It appears the mudslides caused no injuries.
HCA Healthcare Given More Time To Address State's Concerns
(Asheville, NC) -- HCA Healthcare has a little longer to respond to concerns from the state's attorney general over alleged problems at Mission Health. Josh Stein originally requested HCA to address the problems by mid-March, but granted an extension until the end of the month. WLOS-TV reports the organization has been given another extension until the end of April. Mountain residents brought up a list of complaints in community town halls earlier this year, ranging from billing to some staff shortages.
Grove Park Inn Shuts Down Until Mid-May
(Asheville, NC) -- One of Asheville's most historic hotels is closed amid the coronavirus pandemic. The main entrance is blocked off to the Grove Park Inn. The resort says it plans to stay closed to guests until mid-May. The Biltmore Estate previously closed its grounds and hotel properties in late March after the stay home order went into effect.
Pisgah National Forest Announces More Closures
(Undated) -- More of the Pisgah National Forest is shutting down. Forest officials say they're going by federal, state and local guidelines for social distancing to ensure the health of everyone. There's a large list of recreation areas and campgrounds that are now off-limits until August 13th. Around 700 miles of trails still remain open. The best way to track the list of closings is by heading to F-S-dot-U-S-D-A-dot-gov.
Projected Coronavirus Peak Shifts in Charlotte
(Charlotte, NC) -- The projected peak of coronavirus cases in the Charlotte area is shifting a little later than predicted. Meck's public health director said yesterday the number could flatten out and peak in early June if social distancing measures are still practiced. Both North Carolina's and Mecklenburg County's stay-at-home orders are currently in effect through April 29th. County Manager Dena Diorio says they're still working with the National Guard for a temporary hospital site at the Charlotte Convention Center.
Sixteen Dead From COVID-19 In Mecklenburg County
(Mecklenburg County, NC) -- The death toll from the coronavirus in Mecklenburg County is up to 16. That's among more than 100 that have died from COVID-19 throughout the state. The News and Observer reported last night a total of over 51-hundred positive cases statewide, with nearly one-thousand in Mecklenburg. Health officials also confirmed 75 cases at a nursing home in Salisbury.
Two Lawsuits Filed Against Charlotte Diocese Over Sex Abuse
(Charlotte, NC) -- The Charlotte Catholic Diocese is being sued over sexual abuse claims. WSOC-TV says two civil suits were filed in Mecklenburg County court on Monday, which is within a new two-year window to file cases. The accusations stem back several decades, but were included on the Diocese's list of credible accusations released a few months ago. The Dicocese says it's not liable in these cases.
Atrium, Novant Offering Mobile Testing Sites
(Charlotte, NC) -- Atrium Health and Novant Health are setting up mobile testing sites for COVID-19 in Charlotte this week. The Charlotte Observer reports the sites are rolling out in large part to help minority communities, which make up around half of local cases. Atrium is launching screening at its NorthPark parking lot and the First Baptist Church west parking lot. Novant will be set up at the health department's northwest campus on Beatties Ford Road and at Vocational Rehabilitation on Executive Center Drive.
Hundreds Receive Meals In Monroe Food Drive
(Monroe, NC) -- Hundreds of people have food on the table thanks to an effort by the Common Heart Food Pantry. Organizers set up a drive-thru location in Monroe yesterday, where around 300 families showed up for assistance. Common Heart received help from Second Harvest Food Bank and Friendship Missionary Baptist Church to pull the event off.
Tepper Climbs List Of Billionaires
(Charlottte, NC) -- The owner of the Charlotte Panthers is climbing a list of the world's richest billionaires. David Tepper just landed at number 101 on the Forbes' annual ranking with a net worth of 12-billion-dollars. The 62-year-old pulled in much of his wealth as a hedge-fund manager before purchasing the Panthers' franchise in May 2018. He's responsible for bringing in a Major League Soccer team to the Queen City, which is scheduled to begin play next year.
Protesters Gather In Front Of General Assembly To Demand Order Be Lifted
(Raleigh, NC) -- Frustrated and angry North Carolinians who have either lost their jobs or had their businesses shutdown, gathered outside the North Carolina General Assembly Tuesday to demand that Governor Roy Cooper lift the statewide stay-at-home order and reopen the economy. Led by the group 'Reopen NC', about 100-protesters honked their horns in a procession, while others held up signs and shouted. Most observed social distancing orders. One protester was arrested for violating the six feet guideline.
Billions Of Dollars In Small Business Loans Approved For North Carolina
(Raleigh, NC) -- U.S. Senator Tom Tillis announced Tuesday that nearly 24-thousand loans have been approved for small businesses in North Carolina. The loans are from funds provided by the Small Business Administration through the Paycheck Protection Program. The PPP was created as part of the CARES act that was approved by Congress last month. It is designed to help small businesses keep their employees on payroll during the coronavirus pandemic.
NWS Confirm 12-Tornado Touchdowns In North Carolina Monday
(Raleigh, NC) -- The National Weather Service is reporting the severe storms that swept across parts of North Carolina early Monday, produced 12-confirmed tornadoes. The agency says five of tornadoes were classified as EF-1's, six were EF-0's and one was an EF-2. The tornadoes cut a path of destruction through ten North Carolina counties. One Davidson County woman was killed when a tree fell on her house.
Tuesday Night Motorcycle Accident Leaves One Dead
(Durham, NC) -- Police in Durham are investigating a motorcycle crash that killed its rider Tuesday night. It happened along State Highway 55-and Cornwallis and Riddle Roads. Police say the motorcycle collided with a car near an intersection. The rider, identified only as a male, was pronounced dead at the scene. No word on the condition of the driver of the car.
Gov. Roy Cooper Says Lifting Stay At Home Order Would Be 'Catastrophic'
(Raleigh, NC) -- Governor Roy Cooper does not plan on lifting the state's stay at home order anytime soon. He made the comments in response to a social media campaign that uses the hash-tag "Reopen-NC." Organizers are calling for the governor to suspend his executive orders, but Cooper says that would be a "catastrophe" and likely lead to hospitals exceeding max-capacity.
Winston-Salem Extends Stay At Home Order To May 7th
(Winston-Salem, NC) -- Winston-Salem is extending its stay at home order through May 7th. The order was set to expire this Thursday but has been extended another three weeks. Essential businesses and services are exempt. Meanwhile, Forsyth County is ending its county-wide stay at home order and will follow the state's order, which is in effect until April 29th.
Randolph Co. Health To Close ICU
(Asheboro, NC) -- Randolph Health is closing its intensive care unit to help accommodate coronavirus patients. The Asheboro hospital announced yesterday it's redeploying ICU nurses, ventilators and personal protective equipment to the emergency department. Starting this week, Randolph Health will also separate patients with COVID-19 symptoms from other patients.
Person Hospitalized After Shooting In Winston-Salem
(Winston-Salem, NC) -- A person is in the hospital after a shooting in Winston-Salem. It happened around three o'clock yesterday afternoon in the 800-block of Caswell Street. A man was taken to a local hospital with a gunshot wound to the mid-section. He's expected to be okay. Police say the victim is not cooperating with their investigation.