Pete's Prep: Friday, May 3, 2019
- The Carolina Journal reports: The North Carolina House passed its budget proposal yesterday along party lines, as Republicans defeated attempts by Democrats to abolish the Opportunity Scholarship voucher program, crisis pregnancy centers, and Republican tax cuts.
- US unemployment is at a 49-year low. The Citizen-Times has a story about the shortage of blue collar workers.
- From Mountain Xpress: Buncombe County Commissioners got a look at the draft budget - which relies on tapping reserves to make up the gap between revenues and expenses.
- On May 3, 1856, the last recorded duel among North Carolinians, and one of the last duels in the South, was fought. Joseph Flanner and William Crawford Wilkings, both of Wilmington, battled just across the border in South Carolina. The duel resulted in Wilkings’ death. -- (Hat tip: @JimBlaine)
- The NCAE leader spread a photoshopped picture of a large crowd at the teacher protest on Wednesday. PolitiFact rated it as "False," but never identifies who created the "fake news."
- The DailyWire's Josh Hammer writes: Designating the Muslim Brotherhood as a terrorist organization is long overdue.