Pete's Prep: Tuesday, May, 7, 2019
- Nearly a decade ago the Republicans took control of the North Carolina General Assembly for the first time in more than a century. Ever since then, Democrats, teachers, activists, and their media allies have slammed the GOP for average teacher pay being too low. It's now almost $54,000 a year, and so average pay is not a good measurement anymore.
- Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC) has a primary challenger. Longleaf Politics takes a look at Garland Tucker.
- WBTV reports: "The DMV is preparing for an expected influx of customers at driver license offices this summer. Part of their plan? To stop training new customers. An internal email expects “pains” from the decision."
- From NC House Speaker Tim Moore: "The chief economist of North Carolina's Fiscal Research Division advised state lawmakers of “extraordinary growth” in tax payments estimating a revenue surplus of more than $700M - more tremendous success for Republican-led tax reforms & budgets."
- The New York Times: "Riley Howell’s Parents Say He Was Shot 3 Times While Tackling the U.N.C. Charlotte Gunman"
- NC Health News: "Some pediatric practices around the state are sending a strong message to parents and guardians hesitant to vaccinate – immunize or find another doctor."