McDowell County Emergency Management reported the Lake Tahoma Dam was in imminent failure.
A mandatory evacuation has been ordered for all residents living below Lake Tahoma.
- Lake Tahoma Road from Lake Tahoma south to U.S. 70 West
- Tom Johnson Camping Center
- Old Greenlee Road from Crane Resistoflex Road to Water Filter Plant
- U.S. 70 West from PG Fire Department to North Main Street
- All residences along the Catawba River from Tom Johnson to Lake James. This includes developments that border the Catawba River in the Hankins community.
- All locations along U.S. 221 Business
- Burnettes Landing
- Lake James Landing
- Tom Creek Road from N.C. 80 to Morgan Lake Road
Shelters are open at the following locations:
- YMCA of Marion (near McDowell Hospital)
- Glenwood Baptist Church
- Old Fort Baptist Church
The Class 1 Emergency at Lake Tahoma will continue until inspectors evaluate the dam during daylight hours.