Measles Appear In North Carolina (Undated)
The CDC is monitoring the spread of measles across the U.S. North Carolina has reported its first cases since 2013, with three in Johnston County southeast of Raleigh. Most of the people who've contracted measles haven't been vaccinated. Health officials say it's an airborne virus and may spread four days before the rash appears.
Convict Charged With Second-Degree Murder For Fatal Overdose (Haywood County, NC)
A Haywood County man already in prison for drug charges is being charged in an overdose death. Prosecutors say James Dotson sold heroin laced with fentanyl to a 20-year-old woman who then died from an overdose last year. The district attorney has filed a second-degree murder charge in the case, which she says is a new avenue prosecutors are taking in overdose deaths.
Highway Nine Reopening Hitting Snags (Bat Cave, NC)
Weather continues to plague the DOT's efforts to reopen Highway Nine at the site of a landslide near Bat Cave. The temporary opening of one lane around the site has been foiled by debris from rain that continues to slide down the mountain. The DOT has now pushed back the anticipated date of the two lanes reopening to at least mid-September, which will be close to two months after the original completion date.
Suspect Arrested For Burke County Murder (Burke County, NC)
A Morganton man is being accused of murder. Dewayne Hoglan of Hildebrand was found dead inside a car in eastern Burke County early Tuesday morning. The suspect told the Morganton News Herald outside the sheriff's office that it was justifiable because the man tried to run him over.
Suspect Arrested For Vandalizing Tree (Asheville, NC)
Asheville Police believe they've caught the suspect who vandalized a large oak tree last weekend. The man was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of damage to real property. The tree had to be cut down after it was found nearly cut in half and Duke Energy deemed it a hazard to fall at the intersection of Mills Gap and Sweeten Creek roads. It had also been spray painted.
Norovirus Outbreak In Transylvania Over (Transylvania County, NC)
Health officials believe a norovirus outbreak in Transylvania County is over. Symptoms started arising more than two weeks ago, which led to almost 500 complaints of gastrointestinal symptoms. A second wave of the norovirus was feared, but never happened. The county's health director says they won't be able to pinpoint where the virus started.