AVL Protests Lead to Arrests, Medford Dies of COVID, Haywood Fair Canceled

Protests End After Sixth Day

(Asheville, NC) -- Another day of protesting in Asheville is over with more arrests. Demonstrations remained peaceful yesterday until curfew began, and then some people refused to leave the downtown area. Asheville police deployed tear gas more than 30 minutes after the 8 p.m. curfew start. WLOS-TV reports some people were throwing objects at police from parking decks. Multiple people were detained.

Police Chief Explains Officers' Destruction Of Medic Station

(Asheville, NC) -- Asheville's police chief is addressing officer actions that ended in the destruction of a medic station near the Vance Monument. Videos surfaced on social media late Tuesday night of a group of Asheville police officers destroying water bottles and medical supplies set up for protesters. Police Chief David Zack said yesterday the officers took out the station because it was left on private property, while the water bottles had been thrown at law enforcement and protesters in previous days. Mayor Esther Manheimer called it a disappointing moment.

Lawmakers Reviewing Legislation To Open Gyms

(Raleigh, NC) -- State lawmakers are looking to overturn part of Governor Cooper's phase two restrictions again. The state Senate introduced legislation yesterday that would allow gyms to open back up at 50-percent capacity. Employees will be required to undergo temperature checks and wear face masks. Another bill to allow bars to open outdoor seating is still sitting on the governor's desk.

Former Buncombe Sheriff Dies Of COVID-19

(Buncombe County, NC) -- A former Buncombe County sheriff is dead from COVID-19 complications. Bobby Lee Medford has been serving time at the prison in Butner since 2008 for a range of crimes ranging from racketeering to fraud. The 74-year-old tested positive for coronavirus and died yesterday with pre-existing conditions. Medford served as Buncombe sheriff for more than ten years after his election in 1994.

Haywood County Fair Canceled

(Haywood County, NC) -- A fair in western North Carolina is being canceled due to the coronavirus. The Smoky Mountain Event Center's board of directors decided this week to call off the official fair in Haywood County at the end of August due to problems organizing some agricultural and livestock competitions. The board chairman says there was a lot of uncertainty as the time frame to plan was growing shorter. They hope to have an unofficial event to make up for the lost revenues that go to the community.

Hendersonville Hosting Farmers Market

(Hendersonville, NC) -- Hendersonville begins its farmer's market in downtown this Saturday. More than two dozen vendors are expected to be set up around the Historic Train Depot on Maple Street. The vendors will be set up at least ten feet apart. All volunteers and staff must wear face masks. The market is scheduled to run each Saturday through the end of October.

SBI Reviewing Complaints Over CMPD After Controversial Tear Gassing

(Charlotte, NC) -- The SBI is investigating actions taken by CMPD officers on 4th Street, where tear gas was deployed on protesters Tuesday night. The department said at the time that riot control agents were dispersed due to violent criminal activity from some of the group. Chief Kerr Putney says he's seeking to have full body cam footage released. State Lawmaker Chaz Beasley took his anger to Twitter, calling the officers' actions an attack.

Sixth Day Of Protesting Ends

(Charlotte, NC) -- A sixth day of protesting is over in the Queen City. Charlotte Mayor Vi Lyles addressed protesters outside the government center yesterday after videos surfaced of CMPD officers deploying tear gas on 4th Street the night before. The mayor wants body cam footage released. She and city council members joined protesters in a march, and then kneeled at the site where the tear gas was deployed.

RNC In Danger Of Leaving NC

(Charlotte, NC) -- The future of the Republican National Convention in Charlotte is technically up in the air, but signs are pointing towards an exit. President Trump says the party will be looking out of the state after Governor Cooper couldn't guarantee full capacity for the August event. City and Republican National Committee officials are expected to meet today to discuss the contract. The Mecklenburg County Republican Party is blaming Cooper for refusing to set a timetable.

Meck Unemployment Skyrockets

(Mecklenburg County, NC) -- Mecklenburg County's unemployment rate is above recession numbers from over a decade ago. The North Carolina Department of Commerce revealed yesterday that the rate climbed almost nine points from March to April, up to 12-point-eight percent. That means about 74-thousand people in the county are unemployed. The county's rate is just above the average for the state.

Concord Gym Owner Cited For Opening

(Concord, NC) -- A Concord gym owner is facing charges for re-opening his business. WSOC-TV reports the police chief served a criminal summons at Sportscenter Fitness and Athletic Club yesterday after giving three verbal warnings. Owner Bruce Birchfield opened the doors to the gym on Monday morning despite an executive order that requires closing. The police chief says he was left with no wiggle room to charge Birchfield after giving multiple warnings.

Senate Eyeing Legislation On Gym Openings

(Raleigh, NC) -- State lawmakers are looking to overturn part of Governor Cooper's phase two restrictions again. The state Senate introduced legislation yesterday that would allow gyms to open back up at 50-percent capacity. Employees will be required to undergo temperature checks and wear face masks. Another bill to allow bars to open outdoor seating is still sitting on the governor's desk.

Protesters Engage In Face To Face Standoff With Raleigh Police Chief

(Raleigh, NC) -- Dozens of protesters defied curfews in Raleigh for a third night in row Wednesday, marching and chanting peacefully demanding justice for George Floyd. At one point, the marchers came face to face with Police Chief Cassandra Deck-Brown, who after a brief discussion, agreed to allow the protests to continue until 9:45 p.m.

Scary Moments For Hundreds Of Durham Protesters Who Were Lying Face Down In Street

(Durham, NC) -- In Durham, tensions rose briefly last night when hundreds of protesters who were lying face down for nine-minutes on East Main Street in a symbolic gesture to honor George Floyd, were forced to scatter as the driver of a vehicle came barreling down the road. There were no injuries, but organizers demanded answers as to how the motorist was able to get past police barricades.

Fayetteville Police Chief Joins Marchers In A Show Of Support

(Fayetteville, NC) -- Fayetteville Police Chief Gina Hawkins joined dozens of protesters in a peaceful march against racial injustice Wednesday. Hawkins also paused to answer demonstrators questions about police accountability. The action by the Police Chief comes two days after a line of Fayetteville police officers in riot gear, took a knee in a show of solidarity with protesters.

Ft. Bragg Soldiers Told To Stay In D.C. Area Just In Case

(Ft. Bragg, NC) -- Members of the 82nd Airborne Division out of Ft. Bragg, North Carolina, have been ordered to remain in the Washington D.C. area a little while longer. Defense Secretary Mark Esper had announced earlier that he would be sending the troops home, but after a meeting Wednesday at the White House, the more than 200-soldiers were told they must remain on standby in case of more civil unrest.

Durham Mourns Death Of First NC Child To Die From Coronavirus

(Durham, NC) -- A Durham elementary school student has become the first child in the state to die from complications associated with the coronavirus. Aurea Soto Morales, a second grader at Creekside Elementary School in Durham, passed away Monday after being hospitalized less than a week at UNC Chapel Hill. Family members say she first started feeling sick last Thursday. As of Wednesday there had been nearly 940 COVID-19 deaths in North Carolina. Before Aurea, the youngest victims had been between the ages of 25-and-49.

State Health Director Offers Advice To Those Who Attend Mass Protest Rallies

(Raleigh, NC) -- As the size of the crowds of protesters grow increasingly larger across North Carolina, there is also deep concern among state health officials about further community spread of the coronavirus. State Health Director Dr. Betsy Tilson advises demonstrators that while they are expressing their frustrations over racial injustice, to continue wearing face coverings and as much as possible, maintain six feet of social distancing.

Suspect Vehicles Sought In String Of Looting Incidents

(Greensboro, NC) -- Greensboro police are looking for at least two vehicles in connection with a string of looting incidents in the city. They happened this past Sunday during protests against the killing of George Floyd. The ABC and Target stores on Lawndale Drive were looted, and a nearby Mattress Firm was set on fire and destroyed. Two vehicles were seen at two of the locations. They're described as an older-model red four-door Honda Accord EX and an older model four-door sedan, possibly a Pontiac G6 GT. Anyone with information is urged to come forward.

Davie Co. Schools Issues Statement After Video Surfaces

(Davie Co., NC) -- The Davie County Schools District is issuing a statement after a disturbing video surfaced involving some of their students. The video depicted the students reenacting the death of George Floyd. District officials yesterday called the video "appalling" and said it "does not represent the views of Davie County Schools." Parents of the kids involved were notified, and the video was taken down.

Triad COVID-19 Cases Surpass 7,200

(Winston-Salem, NC) -- Health and Human Service officials are reporting over seven-thousand-200 positive coronavirus cases in the Piedmont Triad. That's according to numbers released yesterday afternoon. Deaths stand at 210 locally. Statewide, about 30-thousand-800 people have tested positive for COVID-19, and close to 940 people have died from the virus.

Randolph Co. Man Accused Of Shooting At Minors

(Randolph Co., NC) -- An elderly Randolph County man is accused of firing shots at kids in a yard. Seventy-three-year-old Charles Crone Senior was arrested on several charges, including possession of a firearm by a felon, possession of a weapon of mass destruction, and communicating threats. Deputies say he was shooting toward minors in a yard off Hanner Road in Randleman. The minors, who the suspect reportedly knew, were not hurt.

Guilford Co. Schools Transition To Summer Meals Program

(Guilford Co., NC) -- Guilford County Schools is getting ready to launch their summer meals program. It kicks off this Monday, June 8th, and lasts through Thursday, July 30th. Meals will be available for pickup at over 40 schools and 64 neighborhoods in the county. They're available for all children under the age of 18.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content

News Radio 570 WWNC · Western North Carolina's News & Information Station
Listen Now on iHeartRadio